Erectile dysfunction is a common sexual disorder found in men. It is a condition where a man finds it difficult to achieve or maintain an erection. One of the common reasons for erectile dysfunction is that the muscles that help to sustain the erection lose their strength. You can regain your lost vigor by exercising at least five times a day.
Causes and risk factors for ED include:
- cardiovascular disease
- prostate cancer
- low levels of physical activity
- metabolic syndrome
- alcohol use
Doctors can put on some over-the-counter drugs like phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors to improve your erections. However, lifestyle changes and including exercise and good food in your diet is necessary.
Is exercise beneficial for ED?
In addition to numerous health advantages, regular exercise is incredibly useful in reducing the symptoms of impotence. Exercise is incredibly advantageous for the cardiovascular system.
it improves blood circulation within the body. A good blow flow is important for healthy erections.
When a man is sexually aroused, the blood rushes into his penis. It is this blood rush, which makes the penis firm for sexual intercourse.
After ejaculation, the blood within the phallus flows back to the body.
It is not possible to develop an erection without proper blood flow. Some men experience weak erections while others are not able to develop an erection.
Common Reasons for Poor Blood Circulation
Blood flow in the penis can be interrupted by the damage of the penile muscles, endothelium.
These muscles are necessary for an erection. This muscle damage is due to smoking, high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, and high triglycerides. Once the smooth muscle or endothelium is damaged it becomes difficult for the penis to function normally even with proper blood flow.
In some cases, the arteries of the penis become hard. This causes plaque to build up around the walls of arteries, thus, resulting in blockage of blood.
The reduction in the size of the arteries is one of the major reasons behind erectile dysfunction. The arteries and blood vessels shrink due to other medical conditions such as heart diseases, or diabetes.
How will exercise facilitate in treating Erectile dysfunction?
Regular exercise can help you to improve the blood flow in the penis. Moreover, it can increase the level of testosterone in the body and boost up your confidence. It also keeps in fighting anxiety, stress, and depression.
Therefore, all these factors will improve your overall health and fix your erectile problems.
How much should I exercise?
The answer to this question varies for different men depending upon their individual health. You ought to visit a doctor before beginning any exercise regime.
Your doctor can guide you to choose the exercise program based on your body type and overall health.
Exercise vs. other treatments
It is important to treat the root cause of erectile dysfunction if you want to get rid of it. Medications for erectile dysfunction can help you get an erection but they do not help in curing the disorder.
They simply help in developing erection by producing a large amount of nitric oxide that helps in relaxing the muscles of the penis. In some cases, ED drugs do not prove beneficial.
In some cases, psychological factors such as stress and anxiety can also cause erectile dysfunction. Talking therapy and discussions with a partner can be a great help in such cases.
What kinds of exercise will help?
Exercises that help in strengthening the pelvic area can be very helpful in treating erectile dysfunction. The muscles of the girdle floor will facilitate restoring the blood flow within the penis and retain long erections.
These muscles put pressure on the blood vessels and veins of the penis. As a result, the blood does go out of the penis, making the erections long and firm.
Kegel exercises you can try
Kegel or pelvic floor exercises are the most effective exercises for erectile dysfunction.
These exercises generally have an effect on the muscles of the pelvic area. They target muscles from the pubis to the tailbone. Weak erections are caused because of weak muscles.
They prevent the flow of blood in the penis. Pelvic exercises will tone and strengthen the pubococcygeus muscle, which will prevent the flow of blood out of the penis. You will notice a change within a span of four to six weeks.
Activating pelvic floor muscles
This exercise is easy and very effective in treating erectile dysfunction It activates the muscles of the girdle region.
- Lie down on the floor and bend your knees, place the feet on the floor while your arms lie on the sides.
- Breathe in and out to squeeze the pelvic floor muscles.
- Repeat this three times
- Do not rush while doing this exercise; take your time to identify the right muscles. This exercise should affect the pelvic area. Be careful while doing this exercise as you may contract the muscles of some other body part instead of the pelvis.
Sitting pelvic floor activation
- Sit on the floor and place your arms on your sides.
- Now squeeze in and out the muscles of the pelvis to activate the pelvic region.
- Repeat this exercise 3 times.
- Make sure not to contract the muscles of legs, buttocks, or stomach.
Standing pelvic floor activation
- Place your arms on the sides and feet at hip-width apart.
- Now, you have to contract and expand the muscles of the pelvis by breathing in and out.
- Do this three times.
- Do not contract the muscles of buttocks, stomach, or legs. You should do these exercises daily for good results.
- Lie down while bending your knees, place the feet on the floor.
- Make sure to keep the spine straight with a small gap between the floor and the back.
- Inhale and exhale so that the muscles of the pelvic area are activated.
- While you inhale, let loose the muscle.
- Repeat this exercise 3 times.